March teased us with some warm weather, it cooled down again in April…in some parts of the country at least. So has spring finally sprung?! Either way, with May comes the start of what I like to call, festival season! From beer to food, music, art, and even boats and airplanes, May is jam packed with a lot of things to do.
Make the most of May by checking out some of the events in your area and have some fun in your city!
- Head to the Inman Park Spring Festival the last weekend of April and enjoy a parade, artist’s market, food, and kid’s activities. There’s a little something for everyone.
- Sample food from 60 restaurants at this year’s Taste of Alpharetta on May 12, 2016 in downtown Alpharetta. Also on the docket is a fun zone, chef competitions, and a music stage with rock, folk, and R&B bands.
- Do you enjoy a nice cold one? You’re living in the right city this month with all the beer events happening. Sample a number of different beers, and enjoy some delicious food and other forms of entertainment at: Brew at the Zoo on May 28, Beer, Bourbon, and BBQ Festival on May 21, East Atlanta Beer Fest on May 21, and Georgia Craft Beer Festival on May 30.
- Discover new artistic talent, see working studios, learn about artists’ tools, techniques, and inspirations, and explore unique exhibition spaces and local businesses at West Austin Studio Tour on two separate weekends: May 14 to 15, and 21 to 22, 2016.
- The 39th annual Pecan Street Spring Festival returns to Sixth Street May 7 and 8, 2016. Browse through over 300 artisans, listen to live music from 50 bands, and enjoy food concessions and fun activities for the kids.
- What do you get when you mix live music with the Kentucky Derby? The Derby in the City Music Festival. Head to the Austin American Statesman on May 7, 2016 for an exciting two minutes of sports and the best of Americana, Indie Rock, Bluegrass & Folk genres of music.
- Love Bacon? Then Baconfest Chicago is for you. Head to the UIC Forum on May 1, 2016 for Sunday Brunch and taste hundreds of different bacon dishes. If bacon isn’t your thing, but beer is, check out one of the many beer events in Chicago: The Chicago Beer Classic is May 7 at Soldier Field; Local Brews Local Grooves is May 15 at the House of Blues; and Chicago Craft Beer Week is May 19 through 29.
- Chicago Improv Festival is back and spans one week (May 2 to 8, 2016) and multiple venues throughout the city.
- See a sunrise over Lake Michigan, hear the birds chirp, and enjoy Chicago’s skyline as you Bike the Drive the morning of May 29, 2016.
- The Wildflower! Arts & Music Festival kicks off May 20, 2016 at Galatyn Park Richardson, Texas. Listen to live music on five different stages and enjoy great food, arts, a songwriting workshop and contest, Battle of the Bands, and other entertainment from street performers and clowns to musicians, jugglers and acrobats. There’s a little something for everyone.
- Explore works from the nation’s top visual artists at the Cottonwood Art Festival on May 7 and 8, 2016 at Cottonwood Park. Also on the docket is live music and delicious food and drinks.
- The Cool Thursday Concert Series at the Dallas Arboretum has begun and will continue through the fall. Explore the gardens, and enjoy live music as you picnic on the Martin Rutchik Lawn. If you don’t want to bring your own food, there will be food trucks aplenty so you can buy what you desire to munch on.
- Are you ready to run for beer? Then sign up for the Rocky Mountain Brew Run on May 15, 2016 and run in the heart of downtown Denver. Come for the run, stay for the Beer Olympics Games.
- Mark your calendar for May 28, 2016. Why? Because it’s Denver Day of Rock! The one day event benefits the work of Amp the Cause and features five stages of live music along Denver’s 16th Street Mall.
- The Big Wonderful returns May 6, 2016 and features a central market focusing on food, art, fashion, crafts, entertainment, and music in a sustainable beer garden setting.
- Watch decorated canoes race down the Buffalo Bayou at the Dragon Boat Festival on May 7 and 8, 2016. Also catch colorful cultural performances, educational cultural booths, delicious cuisine, and fun games for both kids and adults.
- Sample delicious Texas barbecue and listen to live music at the Fourth Annual Houston Barbecue Festival at NRG Park on May 22, 2016.
- More than 350 artists will be spotlighted at the 45th annual Bayou City Arts Festival at Memorial Park April 29 through May 1, 2016. Enjoy a walk through Memorial Park and take in the sights of artwork from 19 different disciplines and an array of delicious, local foods.
- If you enjoy beer, Seattle is the place to be this month. Pedal along the Duwamish and Green River Trails and take in city views along the way on May 1, 2016 at Seattle Bike-n-Brews. If you enjoy beer but want to skip the bike, mark your calendar for Seattle Beer Week which starts May 12 and goes through May 22, 2016. Enjoy craft beer, bacon-inspired tastes from local restaurants, live music, dancing, and interactive games at the Bacon and Beer Classic on May 7, 2016.
- Enjoy world class musicians, a Swedish pancake jazz brunch and a car show for an entire week at the Ballard Jazz Festival on May 11 through 14, 2016.
- Join top directors, actors, and critics as you enjoy premieres and screenings of over 400 films from 90 countries at the Seattle International Film Festival (SIFF) which kicks off May 19, 2016.
- Mark your calendar for May 7, 2016! Why? Because it’s Seattle Opening Day, the official opening of Seattle’s boating season.
- Experience great beer on a LA Beer Hop tour. You’ll head to three local craft breweries and get behind-the-scenes brewery access. You’ll also get your own expert Beer Guide to give you all the beer info you’ll ever need, bottled water, and all beer tasters.
- Grab your tutus and running shoes for The Color Run Tropicolor World Tour where you’ll be bathed in a tropical array of colors and delicious island scents as you pass through the shade of palm trees, arches, and island-style music on May 21, 2016 at Dodger Stadium.
- Head to the Paseo Camarillo Theater for live stand-up comedy May 18, 2016 for Laugh Out Loud Comedy Night.
- Sample beer and spirits from around the world, eat great food, and enjoy live entertainment from two time Grammy winning hip hop band Arrested Development at Brew at the Zoo on May 7, 2016.
- Best of the Best Music Fest is back May 29, 2016. Dance in downtown Miami’s Bayfront Park as you listen to reggae, dancehall, soca, and other island sounds.
- The Fort Lauderdale Air Show is returning from its two-year hiatus on May 7 and 8, 2016. The U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds, the Canadian Air Force Snowbirds, and the Breitling Jet Team from France will perform over the surf and sand of Fort Lauderdale Beach.
Have an event you’re attending this month? Share it in the comments.
Have an event you want featured in June? Email our editorial team.
Like what you just read? Why not subscribe to the AMLI Blog so you don’t miss another post?