Spring has finally sprung!! And with that looms summer…or as I like to call it, festival season! But let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves. We found some things to do near our residents in Atlanta, Austin, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Seattle, SoCal, and Southern Florida.
Have some fun in your city!
- Help Atlanta celebrate beer on May 2, 2015 at the Kennesaw Craft Beer Festival at Depot Park in downtown Kennesaw, Ga. Taste over 100 beers, and enjoy live music and great food. General admission tickets include beer samples and entertainment.
- Head to historic downtown Alpharetta, Ga. on May 7, 2015 to the Taste of Alpharetta. Sample delicious food from over 50 restaurants and enjoy culinary demonstrations, activities, and entertainment.
- Shaky Knees Music Festival returns May 8 to 10, 2015 at Central Park. The headliners include The Strokes, The Avett Brothers, Tame Impala, Wilco, Pixies, Social Distortion, and Ryan Adams just to name a few.
- Head to historic 6th Street in Austin on May 2 and 3, 2015 to enjoy the Pecan Street Festival featuring over 300 artists and original artisans, three stages of live music, a wide variety of food, and so much more
- Austin’s annual Pachanga! Fest hits Fiesta Gardens on May 16, 2015. Enjoy Latin-themed music, cultural arts, and delicious food.
- The fourth West Austin Studio Tour comes to town on two different weekends – May 9 and 10, 2015 and May 16 and 17, 2015. Support the arts community by taking a free, self-guided tour of local artists and artisans, see working studios, and explore unique exhibition spaces and local businesses.
- Enjoy beer? Well, Chicago has a few events for you. You can start off by sampling and celebrating fine beers at the American Beer Classic on May 9, 2015 at Soldier Field. Then celebrate even more during Craft Beer Week which kicks off May 14, 2015. More than 300 venues are participating and offering special tastings of rare beers and other special events.
- Mayfest, which kicks Chicago’s street festival season off on May 15, 2015, brings live music, food, and fun to the Lakeview neighborhood. Not to be confused with the German festival known as Maifest, which celebrates the arrival of spring with beer, brats, sauerkraut, and music on May 28, 2015 in the Lincoln Square neighborhood.
- Take a stroll through 100 juried artists at the annual St. Charles Art Show held May 23 and 24, 2015 in downtown St. Charles, Ill.
- Dallas’ all local music and arts outdoor festival, Homegrown Fest, comes to the Main Street Garden Park on May 9, 2015.
- Celebrating 23 years in 2015, the Wildflower! Arts and Music Festival kicks off May 15 at Galatyn Park in Richardson, Texas. Enjoy live music on six stages, great food, and arts at this three-day festival.
- Head to Cimarron Park on May 16, 2015 for a celebration of food, music, and family fun at the Taste of Irving.
- Twenty-five bands are featured on five stages throughout downtown Denver on May 23, 2015 at the sixth annual Denver Day of Rock. The concert benefits Amp the Cause, which supports 50 non-profit organizations in the Denver metro area.
- Celebrate the arts at the Downtown Denver Arts Festival May 22 through 24, 2015. Over 100 of Colorado’s best artists and a select group of national artists are featured in the fine art and craft exhibition.
- Celebrate the beginning of summer and the opening weekend of Water World on May 23, 2015. And if you’re an AMLI Resident, you get a discount on admission since they are part of AMLI PERKS.
- Join Saint Arnold Brewing Company and the Downtown District for the second annual Bayou Jamboree and Gumbo Showdown on May 9, 2015 at Market Square Park. Enjoy beer, gumbo, Cajun food, and live music.
- Celebrate the fourth annual HoustonPress BrewFest on May 16, 2015 at Silver Street Station. Sample beers from 15 different breweries, eat food from local food trucks, and enjoy live music. If beer isn’t your thing…or you happen to be up early, check out the Puppies for Breakfast Dog Festival at Market Square Park. The event works to bring everything “dog” to one place for a few hours. You can enjoy good food and drinks, and your dog can enjoy some play time.
- Celebrate a touch of Greece in the Bayou City May 14 through 17, 2015 at the annual Houston Greek Fest. Taste authentic Greek food and drinks, and enjoy unique art, jewelry, and gifts, live entertainment, an outdoor marketplace, plenty of family-friendly activities and more .
- Seattle Opening Day, the official opening of boating season, is May 2, 2015. Enjoy a morning of races and the Grand Opening Day Boat Parade.
- Join top directors, actors, and critics at the Seattle International Film Festival (SIFF) May 14 through June 7, 2015. The festival will present over 250 features and 150 short films from over 80 countries.
- Bellevue Jazz & Blues Festival returns to downtown Bellevue, Wash. on May 27 through 31, 2015. National artists, local musicians, and high school all-stars will perform in venues throughout the weekend from Theatre Meydenbauer to downtown bars and hotels.
- Eat|See|Hear premiers May 9, 2015. Every Saturday night, from May through September, celebrate movies, food, and music throughout the Los Angeles area.
- Vegan Beer & Food Festival is back for it’s sixth year on May 16, 2015 at Rose Bowl Stadium. Enjoy craft beer from 65 breweries, vegan food from 40 restaurants and food vendors, and live music.
- Kick off summer at the California Strawberry Festival at Strawberry Meadows of College Park in Oxnard, Calif. on May 16 and 17, 2015. With over 50 food booths, this festival serves up a spectacular menu of delicious strawberry treats, live entertainment, gooey contests for berry lovers of all ages, fine arts and crafts vendors, interactive activities, educational exhibits, cooking demonstrations, and more.
- May is Miami Museum Month! Museum hop and enjoy the Miami cultural scene with buy one admission and get one free at participating museums.
- New Times Brew at the Zoo returns May 9, 2015 at Zoo Miami. Over 100 local, international, and craft beers are featured along with live national acts, interactive games, animals, and food.
- Help stray dogs in need by participating in Island Paws Rescue for their Third Annual Golf Tournament on May 16, 2015 at Pompano beach Municipal Golf Course.
Have an event you’re attending this month? Have an event you want featured in June? Share it in the comments!
Like what you just read? Why not subscribe to the AMLI Blog so you don’t miss another post?